Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 110
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Cholesterol Content: 5mg
- Fat Content: 2.5g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5g
- Sodium Content: 200mg
- Sugar Content: 13g
Mashed Rutabaga with Sour Cream & Dill
Prep Tip: Look for rutabagas that are firm, heavy, smooth, and round. Rutabagas will keep in a cold, dry place for up to four months or in the refrigerator for one month.
Change It Up: Add mashed cooked carrots for a colorful side dish. Top roasted or mashed rutabagas with shredded Parmesan cheese for flavorful and savory side. Shred fresh rutabaga with potatoes and onions for a fun twist on hash browns. Vegans: use your favorite vegan butter, sour cream and/or yogurt to make this dish dairy-free.
Nutrition Tip: Rutabaga is an excellent source of vitamin C.
- rutabaga - 2 pounds of rutabagas (1-2 rutabagas), washed, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
- butter - 2 teaspoons
- low-fat sour cream - 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream or plain fat free Greek Yogurt
- dill - 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- chives - 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Place chopped rutabagas in a large stock pot and cover with 1-inch of cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil until tender (30-40 minutes).
- Drain, then return rutabagas to the pot.
- Reduce heat to low and allow the rutabagas to steam for 1-2 minutes to remove excess water, then mash with a potato masher.
- Add the butter and fat-free sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix until well combined.
- Top with fresh dill or chives or both. Serve hot.