- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 271
- Carbohydrate Content: 31g
- Fat Content: 15g
- Fiber Content: 3.5g
- Protein Content: 6.1g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 417mg
Kale & Apple Salad
Change it Up: Instead of making the dressing, you can use 3 tablespoons of store-bought honey mustard salad dressing. Or leave out the cheese and add shredded carrots instead.
- kale - 1 large bunch, rinsed and pat to dry
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- raisins - 1/2 cup, golden raisins, or dried cranberries
- apple - 1 large
- crumbled blue cheese - 2 ounces, or feta
- pecans - 1/2 cup, optional
- canola - 3 tablespoons, or olive oil
- apple cider vinegar - 1.5 tablespoons
- mustard - 1 tablespoon
- honey - 1.5 teaspoons
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
1. Pull the kale leaves off from the tough stems in the middle. Throw the stems away.
2. Chop or tear the kale into small, bite-sized pieces. Put kale in a big bowl. Sprinkle a little salt (optional) over the kale and massage the leaves with your hands by lightly scrunching the kale, until the leaves are darker in color (about 2 mins)
3. Chop the nuts and dried fruit into small pieces and add them to the bowl. Chop the apple into small, bite-sized pieces and add it to the bowl as well. Crumble the cheese over the top.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together. Pour dressing over the salad and toss until coated.
5. Serve immediately, or let sit 10-20 minutes before serving.