- Yield: 24
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 24
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: Coming soon...
High Energy Snack Bars
Prep Tip: Look for firm, smooth, and well-shaped carrots with an even color. Avoid carrots that feel soft, limp, or wilted. For this recipe, about 1 1/2 medium whole carrots shredded = 1/2 cup. Use quick regular oats or old fashioned rolled oats, (instant oats are too fine for this recipe).
Change it Up: Add poppy seeds, 1/4 cup of well-drained chopped or crushed pineapple and/or chopped nuts. Serve as a dessert with a dollop of low-fat vanilla yogurt.
Nutrition Tip: Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A. Vitamin A is an antioxidant. Antioxidants help keep the immune system, skin, and hair healthy.
- honey - 1 cup
- peanut butter - 1 cup
- oats - 3 1/2 cups quick regular oats or old fashioned rolled oats
- raisins - 1/2 cup
- carrots - 1/2 cup, shredded
- coconut - 1/2 cup shredded
- Nonstick cooking spray - As needed
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine honey* and peanut butter in a large saucepan. Cook on low heat until melted.
3. Remove pan from heat and turn off burner.
4. Add oats, raisins, carrots, and coconut to the saucepan. Stir well and let cool until you can safely touch it with your hands.
5. Place mixture into the prepared baking pan. Press firmly into the bottom.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 15-20 minutes
7. Cut into 24 bars.
* Avoid giving honey to children under the age of one. Use 2 teaspoons of sugar instead.