- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 1 cup
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 61
- Carbohydrate Content: 15g
- Cholesterol Content: 0g
- Fat Content: 0g
- Fiber Content: 2.4g
- Protein Content: 1.8g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Sodium Content: 56mg
- Trans Fat Content: 0g
Prep Tip: Choose firm cabbage heads that feel heavy and are tightly-packed. Before use, rinse cabbage thoroughly and remove tough outer leaves. Cut in half and trim core. Store whole or chopped cabbage in a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator, and use within one week.
Change It Up: Try adding shredded carrots or apples. Add any type of cabbage to your favorite sandwiches or soup for a nutritional boost.
Nutrition Tip: Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is rich in phytochemicals, which help support immune system health and help lower the risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer, and is an excellent source of vitamin C.
- green cabbage - 3 1/2 cups or 1 (10-ounce) package of raw green cabbage, shredded
- red cabbage - 3 1/2 cups or 1 (10-ounce) package of raw red cabbage, shredded
- crushed pineapple - 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple in 100% juice, drained (reserve 1/4 cup juice)
- salt - 1/8 teaspoon
- black pepper - 1/8 teaspoon
1. If not using prepackaged cabbage, wash cabbage, cut in half, remove core, shred or slice in to very thin pieces.
2. In a large bowl, mix green and red cabbage with pineapple and juice.
3. Add salt and pepper. Gently toss until well coated. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.