- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 1/2 cup
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 110
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Cholesterol Content: 5mg
- Fat Content: 2.5g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5g
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Sodium Content: 200mg
- Unsaturated Fat Content: .5g
Mashed Rutabaga with Sour Cream and Dill
Prep Tip: Look for rutabagas that are firm, heavy, smooth, and round. They keep well, just store in a cold, dry place for up to four months or in the refrigerator for one month.
Change It Up: Roast chopped rutabagas and any other root veggies with olive oil, and herbs. Top roasted or mashed rutabagas with shredded Parmesan cheese for a additional flavor. Make hash browns with shredded rutabaga and potatoes.
Rutabaga is one of the main ingredients in a pasty (past-eee). Introduced by miners in the 1800s, the pasty is a well-known meat and vegetable filled pie popular in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Nutrition Tip: Rutabaga is an excellent source of vitamin C and a good source of fiber. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin necessary for growth and development. Fiber helps you feel full, helps keep your blood sugar level normal, can help lower your cholesterol, and helps to avoid constipation. Vitamin C and fiber are found only in plant foods.
- rutabaga - 2 pounds (1-2 rutabagas), peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
- butter - 2 teaspoons
- sour cream or yogurt - 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream or plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- herbs - 2 tablespoons fresh dill or chives, chopped
1. Place chopped rutabaga in a large stock pot and cover with 1-inch of cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil until tender (30-40 minutes).
2. Drain, then return rutabagas to the pot.
3. Reduce heat to low and allow the rutabagas to steam for 1-2 minutes to remove excess water, then mash with a potato masher.
4. Add the butter and sour cream or Greek yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix until well combined.
5. Top with fresh dill or chives. Serve hot.