- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 1/2 cup
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 110
- Carbohydrate Content: 11g
- Fat Content: 60
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 1g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Sodium Content: 240mg
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat Content: 6g
Raw Turnip Salad
Prep It: 3-4 medium turnips = 1 pound and 1 1/2 medium turnips chopped = 1 cup. When shopping, turnips should have a smooth skin and feel heavy for their size. Choose small- to medium-sized turnips that are firm, round, and smooth. Store in a dry, cool place for up to two months or in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Change It Up: Add Raw Turnip Salad to a wrap or sandwich. Try cooking turnips how you would normally cook a potato, they are great baked, mashed, or cubed in soups or stews. Sauté sliced turnips, turnip greens, and chopped onions for a flavorful dish.
Nutrition Tips: Turnips are an excellent source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin necessary for growth and development and is only found in plants. The body does not make or store vitamin C, so it is important to eat foods with vitamin C every day.
- turnips - 3 medium, peeled and grated
- carrots - 3 medium, peeled and grated
- fresh parsley - 1/2 cup fresh parsley, washed and chopped
- lemon - Juice of half lemon
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- seeds - 1/2 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds (optional)
- walnuts - 1/2 cup chopped (optional)
1. Place the shredded turnips, carrots, and chopped parsley into a large bowl.
2. Add lemon juice and olive oil. Stir to combine.
3. Season with salt and if desired, top with seeds or walnuts. Serve.